In my searching for a good Indonesian dessert, Ramadhan is a worth-mentioned month for that. Public market called “Pasar Ramadhan” in various sizes appears in many 'quartier' in Indonesia, so does in Balikpapan. But unlike Jakarta, people here have enough time to go home for fasting break. So most just come to the market to buy the food and eat them at home.
Not so different with other Ramadhan, this year I also take this opportunity to do my hunting for a good dessert. Though compared to Jakarta, I don't see many families or friends jotted together into the provided tents and break the fasting together. Oh, I miss it!
Many desserts sold in this market. The favorite now and then fasting breaker is 'kolak' (= banana and sweet potatoes in coconut milk-palm sugar soup) and 'whole coconut with ice and syrup" come along with other sweets. But the creativity does not stop there. When one type of food can't be enough, why not mix it all?!
Here it comes, BUBUR KAMPIUN (= champion porridge), name so for that is the champion among sweet porridges! It is blend of other sweet porridges that cooked separately and then mix before serve/eat. Maybe in the past, one guy happened to mix all the porridges served in the table and liked it, and since then it becomes as the tradition. *Maybe, I don't know*
This dessert is famous almost all over Sumatra with some variety, but the original some people say, comes from West Sumatra. I am not disagreed with that; the truth is I like it. Must-there items are kolak, bubur sumsum (= rice-flour cooked in coconut milk), bubur candil (either sweet potatoes or sticky-rice in coconut milk-palm sugar syrup), bubur kacang ijo (= green-bean porridge), bubur pulut hitam (= black-sticky-rice porridge) and srikaya (made of yolk, coconut milk-palm sugar syrup). The modification can include lempok (= durians sweet), ketan uli (= sticky-rice sweet) or wajik (= rice-coconut milk-palm sugar sweet) etc... *nyam nyam*
Some nutrition and dieters will say not-so-good comments about this 'bad' combination of such fat and high content carbo, but I don't think stopping it is an option for everybody. Just be on earth; why not try this not-everyday sweet. If you happen don’t know where to find these sweets, go and search quickly, or just hop into a traditional market. Don’t miss it!
For the sweet lovers, you have to try it! When American is famous of cookies and French is famous of croissant, in fact Indonesian is famous of 'jajanan pasar', name for variety of desserts that (in the old days) being sold in the market. Indonesian makes desserts almost from any fruit, and we are rich in the variety of fruit, this brings us rich in variety of this hors-d'oeuvres jajanan pasar.
Not so different with other Ramadhan, this year I also take this opportunity to do my hunting for a good dessert. Though compared to Jakarta, I don't see many families or friends jotted together into the provided tents and break the fasting together. Oh, I miss it!
Many desserts sold in this market. The favorite now and then fasting breaker is 'kolak' (= banana and sweet potatoes in coconut milk-palm sugar soup) and 'whole coconut with ice and syrup" come along with other sweets. But the creativity does not stop there. When one type of food can't be enough, why not mix it all?!
Here it comes, BUBUR KAMPIUN (= champion porridge), name so for that is the champion among sweet porridges! It is blend of other sweet porridges that cooked separately and then mix before serve/eat. Maybe in the past, one guy happened to mix all the porridges served in the table and liked it, and since then it becomes as the tradition. *Maybe, I don't know*
This dessert is famous almost all over Sumatra with some variety, but the original some people say, comes from West Sumatra. I am not disagreed with that; the truth is I like it. Must-there items are kolak, bubur sumsum (= rice-flour cooked in coconut milk), bubur candil (either sweet potatoes or sticky-rice in coconut milk-palm sugar syrup), bubur kacang ijo (= green-bean porridge), bubur pulut hitam (= black-sticky-rice porridge) and srikaya (made of yolk, coconut milk-palm sugar syrup). The modification can include lempok (= durians sweet), ketan uli (= sticky-rice sweet) or wajik (= rice-coconut milk-palm sugar sweet) etc... *nyam nyam*
Some nutrition and dieters will say not-so-good comments about this 'bad' combination of such fat and high content carbo, but I don't think stopping it is an option for everybody. Just be on earth; why not try this not-everyday sweet. If you happen don’t know where to find these sweets, go and search quickly, or just hop into a traditional market. Don’t miss it!
For the sweet lovers, you have to try it! When American is famous of cookies and French is famous of croissant, in fact Indonesian is famous of 'jajanan pasar', name for variety of desserts that (in the old days) being sold in the market. Indonesian makes desserts almost from any fruit, and we are rich in the variety of fruit, this brings us rich in variety of this hors-d'oeuvres jajanan pasar.